Sunday 4 May 2014

Artprize Org





Having done works for four churches in the last two years, it was an honor to be asked to create the altarpiece for the new Saint Kilian's Catholic church in Orange County, California. After experiencing construction delays, I decided to commence the work and enter the 9' x 13' stained glass mosaic into Artprize. I am very excited to share my first altarpiece with Grand Rapids.I created this design by photographing my model in the woods of Santa Cruz, California, tied to a huge cross made of Home Depot beams, and wearing a crown of thorns crafted from a Michael's wreath. By layering this imagery with two sunsets I photographed in Italy and Hawaii, I was able to compose the powerful light sources so relevant to this and all of my work. This "Crucifixion" took 2500 hours, is made of hand-cut stained glass, is attached to a custom wood structure and weighs 425 lbs. I drove Him across country by myself in two sections in a Penske truck.

No comments:

Post a Comment